To respond to and improve the handling of Yurok family law guardianship cases in the Yurok Tribal Court
- Family law guardianships are not child welfare (dependency) matters, rather they are cases filed under the Yurok Family Law Code to promote the wellbeing of the child and the family.
- Guardianships aren’t the removal of children, for most cases, the family has made the decision for alternate care providers other than the parents.
- Dedicated Legal Guardianship Social Worker position to provide direct support and referral to appropriate services.
- Families are seen every 6 months for semi-annual review hearings.
- Emergency services for children in guardianships who are at imminent risk of harm.
- Interdepartmental and interagency cooperation to ensure children are safe.